Degree project administration
General advice on degree project administration
- A student must apply to do a degree project. It is also a course.
- Course registration must be completed before the student begins any work on the project.
- The Student Office checks eligibility.
- The examiner must be a teacher employed at KTH with the right to examine.
NB! Students from other schools must have their own school’s student office approve eligibility.
- Student fills in part 1 of the " to confirm eligibility for degree project.
- Student turns in Part 1 to the .
- School's office of student affairs checks eligibility and notifies student by email with application form attached.
- Student finds degree project and examiner, showing examiner proof of eligibility.
- Student fills in preliminary title on application form.
- Examiner fills in "part 2" and signs application form.
- Student signs application form.
- Student signs "Permission to Publish"-form.
- Student prints out and keeps form for "Observation and Opposition", for collecting signatures as requirements are met.
- Student turns in application form and "Permission to Publish form" to School's office of student affairs.
- Student office checks that the project is within the subject area of master field.
Students meets with examiner
Complete the "Application for Degree Project"-form
- Student should have filled in student’s part of "Part 1".
- Examiner should fill out the examiners part of "Part 2": course code, starting date, where work will be done.
- Examiner signs the form.
- Student will turn in the form to Stex.
- Stex enters course registration, visible to student on programme web, and student may then begin work on the project.
When a degree project is finished
Examiner/supervisor/student confer to ensure that the following are done
- Abstract must be in both Swedish and English. Check that a translation has been made.
- Create the front and back covers for the report using
- Note that the subject is in the name of the degree project course for which the student is registered.
- Trita number – issued by IT support
- ISSN: 1653-5146 same for all students at The School of Electrical Engineering
- Send the final report as a PDF to Stex. Please paste the abstract into the email, or else attach it as a word document.
- The student should show the "Certificate of participation" to the examiner and then turn it in to Stex.
- Check that the Certificate has been duly signed, in conformation with the course plan.
- Assign a grade to the report.
- E-mail the grade to Stex. To avoid confusion, include the course code and the student’s full name and civic registration number.
The student office will check the following
- The PDF with the report is complete
- There is a title and Trita number on the cover
- The cover conforms to the KTH template
- There is an abstract in both Swedish and English
- The examiner has sent a grade
- The "Certificate of participation" has been turned in
- The "Permission to Publish" has been turned in
- The report has been added to DiVA (all reports are public documents)
- Record the grade in Ladok, completing the course.
- Put a paper copy of the report in the school archives
When you have a ”secret” report
If there is any reason to keep the report out of public domain, the project should preferably be done in two parts, one which may be the basis for the public report and a second part which may remain unpublicized. Assessment of the work will be made based entirely on the public section.
If it is necessary to do a project in only one part yet undesirable to publish the whole report in DiVA, an abstract may be uploaded instead. Note that the entire report must be turned in to Stex, either as a pdf or in paper format so there will be a copy in the archives. A paper copy ensures against the report being uploaded by accident. It may be wrapped, or in an envelope, to avoid chance encounter. However, the report is a public document which must be produced if anyone wishes to read it.
When the list of requirements above is complete, including that stex has a paper copy of the report for the archives, then Stex will record the grade in ladok. If the examiner wishes for some time to pass, the report may be kept back and sent in later. Then the grade will be recorded later.
- Stex will not record the grade without the report.
- Stex will not record the grade and hold the report for later.
- Stex will not hold the report, and record the grade later.